Major research issues/sites:
- Applicability of characterisation techniques for engineered nanomaterials in natural waters and synthetic samples
- Environmental fate of engineered nanomaterials and other emerging pollutants
- Novel analytical techniques for analysis of emerging substances (e.g. PPCPs) and POPs (e.g. BFRs)
- New sample pretreatment and analytical techniques
- Biological methods for environmental stress (aquatic, benthic and terrestrial organisms)
- Biotic ligand modelling
- Transportation, transformation and degradation of organic contaminants in environment
- Effects of chemical mixtures
- Effect based analysis of substances (EDA, TIE)
Sillanpää, M., Paunu, T.-M., Sainio, P. 2011. Aggregation and deposition of engineered TiO2 nanoparticles in natural fresh and brackish waters. Journal of Physics: Conference Series 304 (1): 8 p. http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/304/1/012018 [cited 2.3.2012].
Vaalgamaa, S., Vähätalo, A. V., Perkola, N., Huhtala, S. 2011. Photochemical reactivity of perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) in conditions representing surface water. Science of the Total Environment 409 (16): 3043-3048. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2011.04.036
Li L., Huhtala S., Sillanpää M. and Sainio P. (2012) Liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry in fullerene C60 fullerene analysis: optimization, validation and comparison of three ionization approaches. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry 403, 1931-1938.
Li L, Sillanpää, M,, Tuominen, M,. Lounatmaa K, Schultz, E. 2013. Behaviour of titanium dioxide nanoparticles in Lemna minor growth test conditions. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 88, 89-94.
Tuominen, M., Schultz, E. and Sillanpää, M. 2013 Silver nanoparticle stability and toxicity to green algae in boreal freshwater samples and growth media. Nanomaterials and the Environment 1, 48–57.
Ahkola,H., Herve,S. and Knuutinen, J. 2013.Overview of passive Chemcatcher sampling with SPE pretreatment suitable for the analysis of NPEOs and NPs, Environ Sci Pollut Res 20:1207–1218.
Perkola, N., Sainio, P. 2013. Survey of perfluorinated alkyl acids in Finnish effluents, storm water, landfill leachate and sludge. Environmental Science and Pollution Research. 20:7979-7987.
Perkola, N., and Sainio, P. 2014. Quantification of four artificial sweeteners in Finnish surface waters with isotope-dilution mass spectrometry. Environmental Pollution 184, 391-396.
Short technical description:
- Modern analytical instrumentation (GC, LC, MS, MS/MS, ICP-OES, ICP-MS)
- Wide range of equipments and methods for environmental chemistry (organic and inorganic)
- Equipments for characterisation of nanomaterials (DLS, LDEP, UV-Vis, ICP-MS)
- Infrastructure for testing ecotoxicity (e.g nanomaterials)
Accredited testing laboratory T003 (EN ISO/IEC 17025)
Recognised as the national reference laboratory in the environmental field in Finland
Accredited proficiency testing provider PT01 (EN ISO/IEC 17043)
Options and conditions for visiting scientists:
Access subject to joint interests/projects as well as time and funding constraints.
Unit Cost of use and principles of costing:
No cost of basic infrastructure. Funding for labour costs, travels and special consumables needed.
centre running the infrastructure:
SYKE - Finnish Environment Institute
type of facility:
Laboratory / high-end instrument
- SYKE - Finnish Environment Institute
- Phone: +358 295 251 000